Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 1- A recent Picture with 15 Interesting Facts about Me

So... since having Samantha, I haven't exactly been jumping in front of cameras to get my picture taken, but I do have a very recent photo.  It was taken Monday, July 4th.  Maggie and Ashlyn are also with me, but it's the best I can do at this point. 


I'm driving my Willis in the China Grove 4th of July Parade.  Well, actually, we were waiting for the parade to start.  I was in line.  I would have decorated it a bit more if I'd had some notice.  Daddy woke me up at 8:30 to ask if I wanted to be in the parade.  It started at 10 am, I needed to be lined up before then and had to get there via dirt road.  Yes, I do live in Alabama.  Anyway, I was expecting maybe 50 people to come out and see the parade. Boy was I mistaken! There were THOUSANDS of people there!!! Not only would I have decorated my Willis better, but I would have decorated myself as well. Ha ha!

Ok, That was my picture. Now I guess I need to give you 15 interesting facts about myself.  I don't suppose I could count that I drive a Willis in my spare time as one of those facts, huh? Oh well.  Here we go:

1. I hate feet.  I can get physically ill looking at a nasty foot or even at the thought of touching one.  Blah, just thinking about it makes me squeamish.  I don't mind either of my daughter's feet right now, but that may change as they get older and their feet are not "cute".

2. I'm pretty superstitious.  I don't walk under ladders, don't open umbrellas in the house (nor do I let Ashlyn).  I don't walk with one shoe on one shoe off, rock a rocking chair with no one it it... you get the point.  Shaun makes fun of me, but when bad things happen, it's usually his fault!

3. I don't have a tattoo.  I'm not willing to subject myself to any type of unnecessary pain, especially one involving a needle puncturing my flesh over and over again.  I am also very fickle.  I change my mind too often about what I think is "cool".  I'm VERY glad I didn't get a yin yang on my ankle when I was 16!

4. I love to play games. I enjoy board games, puzzles, video games, handheld games... pretty much all types of games.  My favorite is probably playing board games with my family or girlfriends.  I have more than 50 games in my hall closet.  Too bad I don't ever get to play them.

5. When I was 14 years old, I was on the Mickey Mouse Club.  At the time, it was known as MMC.  My family was at Disney and they filmed the show in what was then MGM Studios (now Disney Hollywood Studios).  I was chosen to play a game.  There were three guys all claiming to be the brother of a Mouseketeer (Lindsey).  We got to ask questions and guess which one was telling the truth.  I didn't win, but I was on TV and I got a tee shirt!

6. The summer after my freshman year in college, I began a "don't say no" policy on dating.  I made a pact with myself that if a guy asked me on a date, I would go- at least once (as long as I wasn't in a relationship with someone).  I met a lot of nice guys, a few not so nice guys and a couple of straight up weird-o's, but I stuck to my guns and gave every guy a chance.  There were a lot of single dates, but I have to say I had a lot of fun and I can't be accused of not giving anyone a chance.

7. When I was in 1st grade I was the lead in my class play, "A Day at the Circus".  Another girl and I were the ring masters which meant we were the only two kids who got to talk.  I fell in love with the audience and always wanted to be on the stage.  Apart from an "extra" in my high school play and church dramas, I didn't set foot back on stage until 2009 when I was in Conecuh People at the Red Door Theater.  That Christmas I was in Holiday Memories, but last summer, I got my first lead in a play! About half way through rehearsals, I found out I was pregnant and was super sick, had ZERO energy and didn't get to enjoy the experience as much as I would have liked.  Hopefully one day, I'll be able to get back on the stage again.

8. I keep a diary.  I have written in my diary since I was 14 years old.  There have been bouts of abandonment, but I have more than 15 years worth of words I've written.  Wow, when I say it like that, it sounds either really impressive or really pathetic.  Especially since no one will read them but me!

9. I studied Spanish in college.  I loved it so much I just kept taking classes.  One day my professor, Dr. LaBrant asked me if I was majoring in Spanish. I said, "No, Why?" He said, "Because if you take 3 more classes, you'll have a major".  I took those classes and graduated with the ability to speak pretty fluently.  Sadly, I didn't have anyone to speak with once I got home so I've lost most of it. There are only so many things you can say to strangers who speak Spanish. 

10.  I've never been hired for a job based on an interview (other than being a server).  I usually started off in a lower level position after being placed through a temp agency and was offered the job after working a few weeks.  This has happened at least 4 times that I can recall.

11. My first car was a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I LOVED my Eclipse. It was white and smooth, the ones with the bubble on one side. I named her Breeze. She was "Summer's Breeze".  My Daddy bought it for me without telling anyone, not even my mom. He surprised me on Father's Day a month before I turned 17.  He took me to a car lot to "look around".  I walked right up to that beautiful little car and peeking in the windows asked, "Daddy, How much do you think something like this would cost?" He said, "Why do you like it?" I said, "Yeah, but Momma would never let me get something like this" He replied, "Well, I hope you like it because it's yours".  I was confused until I saw him pulling the sales papers out of his pockets.  He then asked if I could drive a stick shift.  Through the biggest grin ever I said, "I can now!"  That is still one of my favorite days ever!

12. I have an unexplainable urge/desire to be on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.  I don't have to be a guest.  I can be someone he interviews on the street or an audience member with a question.  Heck, I'd even play dumb to be a Jay Walker!

13.  I'm 6 feet tall. If you know me, you obviously know that, but sometimes I forget.  I'll see a really tall girl out somewhere and say, "Wow, that girl is really tall..."  Whoever is with me usually gives me a funny look and says, "you're the same height as she is" or "you're taller than her". 

14. I love love love to read.  I love getting wrapped up in a really good story.  I read for entertainment. I want to be drawn into an alternate world where I can see, hear, sympathize with, fear, love and hate the characters.  I'm not really into reading for "education" purposes anymore.  I'm way too selfish for that now.  However, after reading an incredibly good book, I'm always left with a sense of loneliness.  Sometimes, I'm just not ready for it to be over.  That's when I have to go pick up another book and force myself to move along... I know- I'm weird like that.

15. I saved the best for last... I'm a total Disney Nut! I love all things Disney! Disney movies, cartoons, parks, music, history, trivia... you name it! At the time I'm writing this, it's been 7 months since my last Disney vacation and I'm going through withdrawals.  I have friends who call me when they're going to Disney because they know I can answer their "travel questions".  
I've loved Mickey for as long as I can remember. I have traces of Disney sprinkled all throughout my house.  I have almost all of the Disney Animated Classics (Disney Cartoons) on DVD (or VHS) and actually watch them.  I love introducing the old movies to my oldest daughter.  She knows the songs and I'm so proud of her when we go to the park and she knows Baloo as well as the Princesses and Minnie. 
So yes, I'm definitely one of "those" people, but I'm fun and I won't ever try to ruin any of the magic for you.  Hey- I've even made a few amazing friends being a Disney Nut! Thankfully, Shaun indulges me and my love for The Mouse.  Between you and me... I think he's a closet Disney fan too!

Well, that's it... 15 interesting facts about me.  I'm not sure you could call all (or any) of them interesting, but they are all about me.  I hope every day isn't this complicated.  I'm tired.  Night world...

~Summer

5 comments:

  1. Well, Summer, I love your Laughing Place! You know, "Every body's got a laughin' place". I LOVE the Song of the South. My Dad read me Uncle Remus stories from almost day one. Gotta love Brer Rabbit, he's a hoot!
    I think I knew all of these things about you, except the one about dating. YOU GO GIRL! You are so adventurous. :o)
    Keep posting, I love learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girlie!! Great to get to know your through your "fifteen". Your awesome-est cousin April sent me this way. I assume she is the most awesome cousin you have since I don't know any of your other cousins and she's a pretty awesome blog friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what have we here? I am so proud of you Summer! All the Mommy stuff would be more than enough for most and you've gone and created this as well! I remember that Eclipse, very cool car! And you're a Disney nut? No Way! LMAO. I commented under my Google acct but in here I wanna be Brer Rama! Hope all is well x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this! And btw so proud to call myself one of the Disney nut friends who found eachother because of our mutual LOVE of Disney! Planning a trip with Jer (just a short long weekend trip) for her (and WDW's) 40th bday....miss you and hope you can make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already knew all that...and your weren't the only one reading your diary! ;)

    ReplyDelete