Sunday, July 12, 2015

I'm baaaaccccckkkkk

Hi! We are just going to pretend I haven't logged on in almost 4 years...
I will probably finish the blog challenge I started (again... 4 years ago) but I really want to talk about my attempt at running a half marathon! This is really therapy and encouragement for me so feel free to skip the running blogs if that bores you. :)

So far, I've made it all the way to week 2 of the C25K- yes you read that correctly, week 2.  That means I've run a whopping 3 times, but at least I did those 3 times, right? I also managed to work in a class at the Y 1 day! So, let me sum up my 1st official week of running:

Day 1
"I can do this..." This mantra is how I started my run.  I left my front door ready to take on my neighborhood.  Shortly after I began running my "I can do this" turned to "Holy Guacamole it's hot out here!" (It was probably around 7 in the morning).  I pushed myself to finish though.  I had not hydrated myself before the run (or the previous day) so I was thirsty.  I also forgot to take my puff (my inhaler for exercise-induced asthma).  I just can't seem to take deep breaths or get the air into my lungs when running or working out.  Needless to say,  it wasn't the best experience ever, but I was happy I finished it- even if I wasn't very confident I would be able to do much more than that. 

Day 2
It is actually 4 days later- Rather than run outside, I opted for the treadmill.  I knew it would be "easier" than running on the actual ground, but I justified it by thinking, "I will work on my lungs first, then my legs".  I did a lot better! I ran a few seconds more than I was supposed to run each time.  I felt like I could have gone a bit farther running, but stuck to my little trainer on my phone.  (I'm using the C25K app by ZenLabs).  It made me happy that I felt better about the run.  I was excited to see my results. BUT- As the screen was showing me my workout results, I hit a button & it restarted a new program, erasing all of my data.  :( I was very sad- But at least I felt better about the run. 

Day 3
Literally less than 12 hours after my Day 2 run- Back to the treadmill I go. Once again, I opted for indoors.  I am sure I'm going to be fussing at myself when I do go back outside.  Anyway, I figured my legs would be tired from running the night before, but they were ok.  I elevated the treadmill a couple of inclines hoping that would help me outside.  I guess we will see. 
I felt good about this run as well! I am trying to figure out my pacing so when I do go outside, I don't just start sprinting. Obviously, when I do this- I don't make it very far.   I am not good at running "slow".  I'm not really sure how to work this out.  Time, I guess?
Anyway, I only ran 1 1/2 miles, but it felt good.  I felt like I could keep running after she said, "Begin Walking".  Next week (This week) my "run" time gets longer so we'll see how I do with that...

So, if you're wondering why I've decided to take up running (other than the obvious health reasons)- I want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  I have never come close to running something like that, but I think I can do it! I have lots of people tell me, "If I could do you, you can do it".  I hope they are right! Registration is Tuesday.  I'll let you know if I get in!
Have a great afternoon!
~Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment